Tuesday, August 18, 2009

The Missing Marble & Tantrum Time

Yesterday Junior was doing his marble painting and a few of the marbles ended up on the floor. We looked everywhere but still had one missing marble(covered in paint). As we headed out the door for this mornings appointment I quickly found where that marble had been hiding. At least the paint was dry by the time I tried to put my foot in my shoe.
Junior stayed in his chair for his PICC line dressing change today and did so good. He wasn't nearly as stressed about it and there were no tears. The nurse just watched and held his arm while I did the change, now we can do them at home so no more weekly trips to the hospital, yahooooooo.

When we got home I put Junior on his bed for his treatments and he started pitching the biggest fit. There was yelling, tears, and even a fake seizure(yes he will fake seizures when he is mad or wants to get out of something). Isn't that the saddest face.
What was the reason for this tantrum from my very sweet natured little guy you may ask???
He was tired from his appointment and couldn't cope with me not getting his window blinds opened quickly enough so he could see out. Meany that I am, I told him I would open them but not until he stopped yelling at me(I always tell him that if he needs to yell that is fine but he is not allowed to yell at me). He stopped instantly and very calmly answered me when I asked if he would like his blinds opened. He was then one happy guy laying there looking out his window.
A little disclaimer for those wondering why I would ever tell my child it is okay to yell.
With a typical kid I would not allow yelling at all but I have learned with Junior that sometimes he is soooo frustrated because of communication issues that he just needs to holler or cry. With him the rule is that if he needs to yell thats okay but he can not yell at me. He is very good with his eye gaze communication but there are times when he just can't get me to understand what he is trying to say. Junior is such a social kid and loves to know that I(and others) "get" what he is trying to express.

The kids watching Hannah Montana this evening while Junior was having his postural drainage. Goofy kid loves to watch TV like that.

5 comments:

Sky said...

Heidi i love that he yells and in that is able to make his point very clear, that picture of him having his fit is just to much for words. what a little stinker (love it) Im glad your apt went well and that you found the lost marble ;) have a great night Sheila and Sky

Colleen said...

LOL, postural drainage upside down while watching TV..now that's what I call multi-tasking! I'm glad Junior is able to communicate what he wants,even it brings on an ocassional tantrum. Sorry to hear about the marble in your shoe..ouch! Have a great rest of the week!

The Kings said...

Yay Junior!!! So glad you can yell to let Heidi know what you want!! That is awesome :)

Nettie's Blog said...

go go go Junior...yelling and up side down watching TV ...what a man....

Michelle said...

we all need to yell out of frustration sometimes so I think it's great you allow him that release, especially considering the communication barriers! I can't believe that he fakes a seizure! The stinker!